Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Book Sharing

While I was at the airport last week before my trip, I finally picked up "The Friday Night Knitting Club," which I've been meaning to read for some time. It's not a "knitting" book, so much as a book about women who happen to knit. But still, I'm really glad I finally decided to start reading again.

While the whole book was great, one paragraph stood out to me, so I wanted to share it...With whomever happens to take a moment to read my little-used blog. The paragraph is spoke by Anita, an "older, wiser" character in the book. Enjoy.


"The thing is," Anita began quietly, "that when you're young, you always
think you'll meet all sorts of wonderful people, that drifting apart and losing
friends is natural. You don't worry, at first, about the friends you leave
behind. But as you get older, it gets harder to build friendships. too many
defenses, too little opportunity. You get busy. And by the time you realize that
you've lost the dearest best friend you've ever had, years have gone by and
you're mature enough to be embarrassed by your attitude and, frankly, by your
arrogance."

No comments: